Who We Are
At BCIT, putting people at the core of everything we do is paramount. This idea is the foundation of BCIT’s People Vision, which describes the Institute’s goals and priorities in respect to our people. In a complex and uncertain world, it’s vital our people feel valued, supported and connected. BCIT champions a culture of innovation and global progress through people’s imagination and creativity. With a competitive compensation package, great work-life balance, and career advancement opportunities, see why we’ve earned the title of one of BC’s Top Employers for over ten years running.
BCIT’s Marketing and Communications department is seeking a regular, full-time (1.0 FTE) Copywriter. The Copywriter is responsible for developing creative concepts and content that inspire our audiences, support BCIT’s marketing strategy, build brand awareness and drive interest for recruitment. The Copywriter writes engaging and strategic copy for short- and long-form marketing communications including advertising (traditional and digital), campaign landing pages, video and radio scripts, collateral, and publications.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leads concept development as a creative thinker with a deep understanding of marketing strategy and how to fulfil on a creative brief, leveraging data and research to inform content, tone and optimization.
- Researches, plans, distils complex information, and writes content that positively positions BCIT to external audiences in a cohesive brand presence. Complexity includes taking academic and technical information and rendering it to be easily understandable and accessible.
- Brings to life BCIT’s brand voice and tone in marketing, specifically shaping its external presence. Ensures content is on strategy and develops original, tailored content along the audience journey and path to purchase.
- Writes highly persuasive and engaging content across a variety of mediums and audiences, from teens to adult learners, parents to industry leaders.
- Influences the development of BCIT’s content strategy, aligning with other content contributors and stakeholders.
- Authors and advances content for advertising, campaign landing pages, publications, writes video and radio scripts, understands and implements search engine optimization (SEO).
- Participates and contributes to MarComm’s annual planning of campaigns and publication strategy, informs content themes, leverages insights and writes to deadlines.
- Contributes to the development of messaging maps for annual marketing plans to support ad campaigns, provides insights for creative briefs, and participates in the development of critical paths.
- May be called upon to work with other content contributors and creative agencies.
- Keeps the manager and team apprised of new issues and trends in content strategy and copywriting.
- Participates in Records Custodian training and remains current with record keeping practices, policies and procedures (both BCIT and FOIPOP).
- Undertakes related duties as assigned, consistent with the job grade for this position.
- Completion of a Bachelor’s degree with a specialization in copywriting, communications, creative writing, marketing communications and/or journalism.
- Two years of general experience plus four years of current, relevant experience in a similar position, e.g., in copywriting and/or journalism.
- Microsoft Office proficiency at the intermediate level.
- Advanced experience with desktop and online content publishing.
- Advanced knowledge of search engine optimization.
- Excellent written and presentation skills, with a compelling ability to sell an idea with strategic and creative rationale.
- Experienced in writing for a variety of audiences and mediums, short- and long-form.
- Critical proofreading skills with an exceptional eye for spelling, grammar, and tone of voice.
- Proven ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships by exercising tact and diplomacy while maintaining the highest levels of professionalism and customer service.
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure, meet deadlines, plan and manage multiple projects, and effectively handle changing priorities.
- Strong organizational, analytical, and decision-making skills.
- Must be able to work independently and as a team player.
- Problem-solving skills.
- Strategic view.
- Proven experience in writing engaging copy for advertising, publications, web, and video scripts, including working with storyboards.
- A keen aptitude for digital advertising – writing and optimizing copy specific to digital mediums and data insights.
Benefits – Why you’d love working with us:
- Competitive pay
- Minimum of fifteen days of vacation
- Competitive employer-paid extended health and dental plan – take a look at our benefit plans!
- Defined benefit pension plan with employer contributions
- Flexible hybrid work arrangements available
- Professional Development funds and resources
- Access to most BCIT Flexible Learning courses free of charge
- Wellness and Employee Assistance programs
- Complimentary membership with free access to the Fitness Centre, Gymnasium, and more
BCIT values diverse experiences, ideas, cultures and perspectives and is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace. As an equal opportunity employer, we encourage applications from members of all groups experiencing barriers to equity. If you require accessibility accommodations during any part of the application or hiring process, please contact RecruitmentAssistant@bcit.ca so we can best support you. Please note that all applications must be submitted via the careers page portal, email applications will not be accepted.
The British Columbia Institute of Technology acknowledges that our campuses are located on the unceded traditional territories of the Coast Salish Nations of xwməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səl̓ilwətaɁɬ (Tsleil-Waututh).
Please apply at: https://careers.bcit.ca/postings/8037